Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Year 4 science

Last year when I was planning our upcoming lessons, I challenged myself to create a science curriculum with what I had on hand. It was fun to do, and as we are now winding up our school year, it has occurred to me that I chose pretty well, and so I thought I'd share.

Spring and Summer and Fall and Winter in North Carolina Forests 


I've wanted to use these books in our school for along time, but I always chose Burgess books instead. But these were an excellent way to sort of "force" nature study, because so many of the plants and animals could be found right in our yard, so that as we read about them, we also went out to go see them, as much as possible. I liked that these books covered not only birds and mammals, but some reptiles and amphibians, as well as plants, mushrooms, and even discussed a bit of astronomy and geology. Spring and Summer has 33 chapters, and might have done well enough for the whole year, but I liked the other book so much as well that I squeezed both into our 36 weeks. The chapters were an easy read for our ten year old son, were illustrated nicely, and were written from a Christian point of view (published by Rod & Staff). I suspect that even though it SAYS North Carolina, any one living in the Appalachian areas of Virginia, Tennessee, and South Carolina would find it useful.  


The Friar Who Grew Peas, Snowflake Bentley, and The Boy Who Drew Birds


Next I wanted to include some biographies of naturalists and biologists. I actually purchased the Audubon one, because I'd wanted it forever, but I had the others on hand already. For some students three might have been enough, but I chose six for this year, 2 each term, or one every 6 weeks. If you're not familiar with these picture book biographies, please become so. Each one is a true living book, with a wealth of ideas easily dished up, and beautiful to behold.

Listening to Crickets, John Muir: My Life with Nature, and George Washington Carver


These three biographies are short chapter books, and I included them mostly to 1, keep my boy busy, in a good way, and 2. introduce him to naturalists whose works he would very soon be reading on his own. They did the job, but no need to rush out and buy them.

A Drop of Water, and How to Think Like a Scientist 


Finally, I wanted to include these two books because I just liked them so much. Drop of Water is an amazing book of photography that will inspire you to look a little more closely at a substance that covers 70% of our planet. It also encourages readers to "wonder why" and guides them through a few simple experiments in order that one might see for ones self. Think Like a Scientist is a great first logic book, which is somewhat of a pet subject for me. It is so important to me that my children learn to think logically and soundly, to discern strong evidence from weak, and to argue fairly. My son will not study logic formally for a few years yet, but this book is a great introduction.  



His "work" included nature notebook entries, biography narrations, and the suggested activities from the latter two books, and I think we had a pretty successful year. Check back soon for notes on what is in store for him in Year 5!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Veronica, Do you have your Y3 or Y4 plans shared somewhere? We are new to CM and need help! :) These selections look wonderful. How frequently would you suggest shooting for doing a nature notebook entry and science activities? I visited here via Instagram. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stopped by! I do not believe I have posted about my schedule here, and I am hesitant to do so, because I feel like there are so many different factors that go into why I do what I do when I do it, that are likely to be completely irrelevant to you or anyone else. However, I am always glad talk homeschooling and Charlotte Mason and would love to help with any other specific questions you have regarding planing or any thing else. Direct messaging on IG might be a better place for that than blog comments though? Or even email, you can reach me at teammahnken at gmail dot com.

      As for how often to do some science activities and nature journaling, I will tell you that in my perfect life, I would do each once a week. In my real life, I have never been able to achieve that. Right now we have an every-other Friday nature walk with friends, and we journal our finds and discoveries then. Science activities are a little harder (for me) to be consistent with because they are usually tied in to the readings and require preparation and planning on my part - something which I am improving in, but could still do much better. As of now, I have set aside one afternoon a week in which we always get *some* hands on science done, though not always for every child (I have children in 4 different years or forms right now). Since you specifically asked about YR 3/4, I will say that A Drop of Water readings are very short, only a page or two, and the experiments simple but effective. Done once a week, it would last you nearly half a year, done every other week, nearly the whole year.

      Again, Please feel free to ask if I can help in any other way!

      Delete